Thursday, September 13, 2007

Waraku: totemo oishi desu

Last night, Liz and I went back to East Coast Road. This time to try Waraku, the Japanese resto. She had a stressful day at work while I had a really slow and boring day. Just like what I'm having right now. Very uneventful. lol. I was hoping that some Jap food would turn our day around. Happily, it did. Allow me to share.

I forgot to bring my Powershot so my phone cam would have to do. It's better than nothing! Good thing I have a Cybershot phone. The quality is not that bad. =)

We got to the place at around 7:30ish. (I had previously mistaken the nearby Hongkong Tea House for Waraku because the sign was red and there were Japanese-like characters on it. I was not really paying attention 'cause I was really excited to eat.) I think Liz was just as excited as I was.

Liz: the girl in blur

Seeing the pictures of food displayed outside the resto made my mouth water and my stomach grumble.


Waraku's facade: simple but very Japanese (I like)

We had a really hard time ordering. There were so many choices and we could not decide what to order. We wanted to try everything. Really! I think it took us 15 - 20 minutes to decide. lol. I had to tell Liz that we'll just come back for the things we could not try that night. That made her less undecided. =P

I ordered... lemme think... ah! Tsubaki Set meal. It includes a bowl of mushroom noodle soup and bbq eel with rice. The waiter asked me if I wanted Udon or Soba. I didn't know what he meant so Liz and the waiter explained that udon noodles are thick and soba noodles are thin. I thought thick noodles are unusual so I said: "Oh, I'll have the thick one."

How about that! I learned something new. Now, I know what udon and soba are. =)

Liz ordered Salmon in cream sauce noodles and a set of Unagi Fotomaki.

There was no California Maki in the menu... and I did not bother to ask. Toink! =P

My eyes opened wide when my food arrived. The serving was big enough for two! I was afriad that I could not finish them all. lol! But eventually, I did. Well, there were still some soup left on the bowl... but I ate all the noodles! Liz's food was huge too. Probably even more than mine. And it tastes better than mine, too.

Yes, I tasted her food again. lol.

The food we ordered was good for four. We had hardly eaten half of our food but we were already full. We decided to stop eating first and talk while waiting for our stomach to make room for more food.

We had to stop. We could not eat anymore.


Mushroom and udon noodles: the orange thing in the middle is caviar (I think)


Unagi: BBQ eel (yummy!)


Salmon in "kurimu" sauce: Liz never got to finish her food


Unagi Fotomaki: we almost forgot to take this picture

The damage was 50 bucks. The bottomless green tea costs 1sgd. Cold water is free. The service was okay. Though they were shouting all around (They were shouting phrases like "____, onegaishimasu!"), I didn't mind. I was busy enjoying the food and talking to Liz.

We will definitely go back to Waraku. This time, we'll bring reinforcements.

=P

2 comments:

lizette said...

so desu ne! waraku no tabemono ga totemo oishi desu kara, ikimashoo mo ichido kudasai :D

all the shouting is pretty normal in a japanese restaurant... so i wasn't a bit bothered by that :D hehehe pero gusto ko yung caption.. "the girl in blur".. hehehehe... or, "the undecided girl in blur" :D

Unknown said...

the udon looks weird but the unagi looks so oishii.. 美味しいそ。。